Pages

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Giving an old design new life

I have been making kids a-line pinni's for about three years now and they seem to be a very popular design, as most market stalls that sell handmade children's clothes, sell this sort of design. In the past I have tried to alter my pattern to make this simple dress different. I have made them in corduroy with applique (flowers, birds, butterflies, owls etc), in cotton, with printed cotton fronts and corduroy backs and with pockets on the front for those little collectors (inspired by violet). I was starting to think that my pinni pattern was almost done, I have seen so many variations of it and I was just over the whole thing.
After cutting out my long denim winter skirts I had a lot of off cuts left, I am planning on making kids pants out of these, but I also got thinking that maybe the pinni dress wasn't dead yet! So I started to make a new collection, I never make more than 1 of the same dress, but after seeing people do collections and how well they go I thought I would give it a go. So I started cutting and cutting, I only got 4 made as it was 3 days before the Perth Upmarket, but they looked fantastic and once more the pinni dress came back to life. I started with a few owls and haven't got much further than that at the moment, but I do have more in mind. The few Denim Owl Pinni's that I took to upmarket proved to be a big hit.
I guess that goes to show you that old favourite's can have a new life no matter how over done they are, all it takes is a little imagination and a whole lot of off cuts.

I tried for an hour to upload some photos, will try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment